- 1 Pineapple
- 1 Nectarine
- 1 Long Horn Pepper
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1 Red Onion
- 3 Limes
- 1 Big Pinch Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 blocks Halloumi Cheese
This vibrant salsa is full of contrasts and is a fantastic side dish to serve at a BBQ party. The sweetness from the caramelised fruit cuts through the acidic lime juice, whilst the lime helps remove enough of the heat from the onion to allow it’s crunch to be enjoyable.
This delicious salsa is a variation on the one that formed part of my challenge-winning King of the Kebabs title on BBQ Champ. The acidity and sweetness will go perfectly with a fatty meat, such a pork belly or simply serve it up as a starter.
- Remove the inner pulp from the tomatoes and finely chop the flesh.
- Finely chop the the long horn pepper and the red onion.
- Squeeze the juice from the 3 limes into a bowl and then add the chopped tomatoes, onion, pepper and salt.
- Prepare the pineapple into decent sized strips. Cut the nectarine in half and remove the stone.
- Grill the pineapple and nectarine over a medium heat until the outside if caramelised and the inside is warmed up. The nectarine will build up a pool of syrup inside the pit where the stone was removed, before flipping to grill the other side, pour this syrup into the salsa bowl.
- Thickly slice the halloumi into approximately 2cm slices and grill until nicely browned – approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the pineapple and nectarine from the grill, chop into thick chunks and add to the salsa.
- Add the olive oil to the salsa and mix well.
- Plate up by laying down a bed of salsa, topping with the halloumi and an extra spoonful of salsa on top.